What is Python Used For?
A guide to Python – Here’s everything you need to know if you’re just starting out!
Python is one of the most used programming languages in the world. One of the biggest reasons Python is so popular is its versatility. Many industries and companies use Python for a wide array of tasks, including:
- Data analysis
- Machine Learning
- Software development
- Game development
If you are interested in using the power of Python, keep reading! Discover what Python is and what are the most common uses of Python. Let’s get started!
What is Python?
- Developed by Guido van Rossum and first released in 1991.
- An open-source, general-purpose, high-level programming language.
- One of the most popular programming languages, according to several programming language popularity indices, such as the TIOBE Index and the PYPL Index.
Among the high-level programming languages – languages with a syntax that is easy for humans to understand –, Python is one of a kind. One of the main features of Python is its similarity with the English language, which makes it very easy to read and write. Readability is at the heart of the design of Python. As a result, Python is often cited as one of the easiest languages to learn, especially for people with no programming experience.
Python is supported by its vast community of users. This is a great strength of Python, as developers ensure the smooth growth and development of the language.
As a general-purpose language, Python can be used to create any kind of program. However, Python has more versatility than any other programming language. Over time, Python has been used in many software domains. This means that knowing Python is currently one of the most in-demand skills. If you are considering breaking into the IT market, learning Python is a smart decision.
Why is Python So Popular?
What makes Python such a popular programming language?
- Readable syntax: It has a simple syntax that mimics the English language. As a result, Python syntax is very easy to read and understand.
- Versatility. Python can be used for many different tasks, from web and game development to data analysis and machine learning.
- Easy to learn. Python is often cited as an easy language to learn. Python is great for inexperienced programmers.
- Open-source. Python is free to use and distribute, even for commercial purposes.
- Extensive catalog of packages. Python’s archive of modules and libraries is huge and constantly growing. Any task can be done with Python. You just have to find the right package.
- Vast community. The great community of Python developers ensure the growth of the language. It also makes it easy to find a solution to a coding problem, as it is likely someone has encountered the same problem before.
- Portable. Python uses portable code, meaning that you can use the same code on different platforms, such as Windows, macOS, or Linux.
What is Python Used For? 6 Uses cases of Python
Data analysis and visualization
Data has become the new gold. In our increasingly digital society, companies and individuals are using huge amounts of data to make better decisions.
Although not originally created to analyze data, today Python is the lingua franca of data science. This is thanks to its impressive collection of packages designed for data analysis and visualization.
Some of its most famous libraries include:
- NumPy: provides a large collection of functions for scientific computing.
- Pandas: perfect for data manipulation.
- Matplotlib: the standard library for data visualization.
- Seaborn: great for creating advanced, beautiful plots.
AI and machine learning
When it comes to artificial intelligence and machine learning, Python is the king. The language provides some world-class libraries to develop machine learning models. One example is Scikit-learn. This is the standard package for machine learning within the data science industry. With Scikit-learn, you will be able to build predictive models for all kinds of machine learning tasks, including:
- Creating recommendation systems based on what you like, watch, and buy.
- Segmenting clients to deliver personalized products and services.
- Optimizing routes for public transport and self-driving cars.
Python’s catalogue has some of the most advanced frameworks for deep learning, such as:
Python is also a popular language for software development. Python can be used at each of the stages of the software development process:
- Evaluate computing performance through management control systems.
- Prototyping applications.
- Debugging errors from computer hardware or software.
- Testing applications.
- Create executable programs through compilation
- Maintain systems over time.
Thanks to its versatility, Python is well-suited for simple and advanced software applications. As a general-purpose language, Python is behind applications of all kinds. Want to use Python to create cool applications, such as :
- APIs (Application Programming Interfaces)
- Machine learning applications
- GUIs (graphical user interfaces
Check out the Python courses available in the Sololearn Catalog and get started today!
Blockchain is one of the most disruptive technologies around. If you want to create blockchain-backed applications, Python can help you. The language offers a growing number of packages that will help you build blockchain prototypes in a few lines of code.
While C and C++ are the most popular programming languages for game development, Python is rapidly finding its way into the industry.
Thanks to its readability and simplicity, Python is the perfect tool for game prototyping. Python also offers packages to build fully commercial and world-class projects. A great example is Pygame, a cross-platform Python module designed for writing video games. It includes graphics and sound libraries designed to deal with all the elements of a game.
Want to learn Python?
Whether you are new to programming or are interested in expanding your skillset learning Python is a great idea.
Aside from being one of the easiest languages to master, Python is a go-to language for a ton of reasons. Its ever-growing number of uses and its thriving user community are great benefits., With its growing community, crowdsourced packages are constantly being developed and shared, so finding solutions to common problems is easier.
Want to master this popular and useful language? The best way to learn is to find a quality coding course. Check out Sololearn’s course catalog and start your Python journey from your smartphone!